Sunday 6 May 2012

film 03

another earth (2011)



this film actually blew my mind, everything about it is beautiful - i am forever in awe at the skill and devotion behind director mike cahill. the detail and delicate touches in the film are astounding - for example, the noise/grain of the film mirrors rhoda's mental state in that moment in the story.

another earth follows an ambitious girl fascinated by space named rhoda, she gazes up at the night sky whilst driving after a night of celebrations to look at 'the other earth' which had just been discovered in not far out in space. she crashes into a stationery car, instantly killing the wife and child of a composer, john. four years after her prison sentence is completed, she is released. the film shows how she desperately tries to seek forgiveness and redemption.

one of my all time favourite films now, so glad i watched it. it's amazing - so highly recommended.

mulholland drive (2001)

another weird and wonderful david lynch piece. it has a pretty complex narrative that all makes sense once the penny drops. it's the film that in currently inspiring my latest project at uni, well the inspiration comes from what i think is going on in the film!

nick and nora's infinite playlist (2008)

one of those films people refer too a lot but i'd never gotten round to watching it. i know i'd probably like it, i seem to like all kitch/quirky michael cera films.

hot tub time machine (2010)

funny, easy going film that i watched with the flatmates.

monsters inc. (2001)

just because i hadn't watched it in what seems like forever. i have seen this before, obviously. put that thing back where it came from or so help me... so help me! so help me! and cut.

the beach (2000)
stars a young leonardo dicaprio (always good) playing a boy named richard, in search of secret island somewhere near the gulf of thailand, with a beach said to be better than paradise, he goes in search of the island with two other travelling companions. i love this film, it's also not what you think it would be. the film is quite dark and slightly gorey in some places, but it's an amazing watch.

these posts contain a list and short bio of 5 films that i've most recently viewed. they include films that have been on my 'to watch' list for years, have been recommended to me, have been recently released or are on the list of films for my university project! i try not to include spoilers in my descriptions - just a brief synopsis, the genre and my general opinion.

1 comment:

  1. You have such great taste in films! I'm a total movie junkie and love watching all sorts of different ones. I'm going to add Another Earth and Hot Tub Time Machine to my 'to watch' list. The others you mentioned I've already seen and loved. :)

    ReplyDelete